Saturday 23 March 2013

Warrior Dash, Tough Mudder and New Fitness Goals

This year seems to be all about setting high goals and achieving them. I think that my fitness regiment, although improving consistently from the beginning of the year, needs a shake-up.

I've been thinking for quite a while about doing those crazy intense obstacle course designed by ex-military. They look crazy intense and hard as hell. They scare the heck out of me to be honest. On the other hand, they get my heart pumping with excitement! I want to push myself to levels that I still think are basically impossible.




So I've tentatively chosen two to participate in: The Warrior Dash in Barrie, ON on July 20th 2013, which is a just over 3 mile (5k) race with 10-15 obstacles. It's one of the smaller races, perfect to start with from what I've heard. You can check it out here.


Next, I'm going more hardcore with the Tough Mudder race on September 28th or 29th. It's a much longer 10-12 mile course with 20-25 obstacles. This one seriously has me doubting my sanity. The finish time is around 3-4 hours on average. You can check this one out here.

On top of these two crazy things that I still can't quite believe I'm setting myself up for, I want to complete a 10k and a half-marathon before the end of the fall.

Training for all of this isn't going to be much different from what I'm doing now, although running hasn't been high on my priority list because of less than spectacular weather. I'm going to have to start intensifying upper body and core workouts, which with the help of rock climbing shouldn't be difficult to implement. Basically, I'm going to have to be much more consistent and spend more time training. I'm thinking lot's of HIIT, lots of cardio and more strength training.

Once I've set up a workout regiment I'm happy with, I'll share it here!

*Deep breath*

This is next level stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment